Monday, November 24, 2014

40 Book Challenge

I decided to do the 40 book challenge with my students this year. Almost every student is on their way to achieve the goal of 40 books by the end of the year. I have a few that are struggling through it, but I'm very proud of them for giving their best effort.

Not only are the students reading books on their level, but I'm reading 40 books right along with them. It's my goal to be able to do a better job of recommending books to my students. I want to be able to discuss the books with them and not just by going off of what others have said about a particular book. I'm also trying a variety of genres as well.

I picked this idea up when I started a book study a few years ago on "The Book Whisperer" by Donalyn Miller. I absolutely loved the book. I also follow her on goodreads and I'm in the middle of her second book. She speaks from teaching 6th grade language arts, but it is very easy to relate to as an upper elementary teacher. 

I want to instil a love and passion for reading. I want to introduce students to genres that they haven't tried before. I want them to have a hard time putting a book down. 

So far, so good

At recess 
Yes, 5 of my students were reading instead of playing. They realize that books can take you to far off places. A few of then noticed that I had my phone out taking pictures. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment