Monday, October 12, 2015

New year

   This is the start of my 9th year of teaching. How did that happen? I always forget all of the time that it takes to teach procedures and get students on a roll in the class. At the beginning of the year, i had a few new students to Gaston County. That means they don't know their lunch number to log into the computer. Ok, I got this. The next thing I know, two mores students come from out of state. More numbers to help students to learn. We finally get in a roll and a 4th new student from out of state arrives. Boy am I exhausted. The majority of my class didn't use their google log ins last year, so when they were working on their water cycle presentations, it was painful.
   Now that we are over a month into school, we are starting to get into the groove. Most students remember their username and password for the computer. Students are starting to remember their google logins. This is getting quicker and quicker.

Tips:
1. write log in information on an index card for students and teach them a safe place to put it
2. Procedures, procedures, procedures (the more you practice, the more they remember)
3. Remember your current students are not where your class was last year when they left you. It was a process the year before too, but sometimes we don't remember that.

2 comments:

  1. Tip #4. Invite your ITF to come and help at the beginning of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning,

    I am currently looking to move to the Charlotte area and I am a teacher in IL. I have so many questions and I was hoping that yourself, or others you may know could take some time to answer them. If you could my email is ktdeswardt@gmail.com.

    Thank you so much for your time and insight--Katie

    ReplyDelete